Thursday, 21 May 2009

Life on the Ranch

There has not been a great deal to report recently, just working away here and getting on with things.

Work has been a bit up and down recently as there have been some big functions that I have had to work on so haven't had much to do with the horses this week. We had 800 Spaniards here over two days and we staged a roughstock rodeo then a big banquet each day. I'm sure they had a good time, but trying to feed and clean up after 400 rowdy Spanish tourists gets tiresome pretty quickly! At least I had one good job of throwing beer to the crowd in the grandstand at the rodeo. I think that they cheered louder for the beers being hurled at them than for some of the bronc riding!

As I hadn't been on a horse for a few days now I suggested a staff ride after work today. A few of us went out and it was a beautiful afternoon. I'm feeling much more comfortable and confident at my riding and enjoying it much more, particularly like today when we just bushwacked a bit and went where we pleased rather than beating exactly the same path as we take the tourists on. I rode 'Powder' today who is my favourite horse that I've riden so far. He's headstrong and one of the more difficult horses to tack up when he's in the barn, but he's eager, smart and responsive to instructions which many of the horses aren't!

It was a big group, so not exactly stealthy through the bush, but we still saw a bunch of Mule deer and some Elk. It's exciting to see that the bucks and bulls are getting along in the antler growth department and are sprouting some good velvet already.

Here are some pics from the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment