Here's the link to the video of the guys who came out last week. The film is more focused on the contest winner but there are a few shots of me putting him on Powder and riding along as the tail guide. Check out the one guy's attempt at getting on the horse - pretty funny! You might also notice that it was snowing, which was not a great advertisement for June in the Rockies. Anyway, it is short but give a little idea of where I am working.
Yesterday I accompanied Rowls down to Montana in the US which was a great experience. Unfortunately I only had one day off, so we had to do the whole trip in one day which meant the proportion of the trip spent driving was relatively high, but it was fantastic to see some more of the country down there. We made it as far as Great Falls, which is about in the middle of Montana, where we had a steak lunch, went to a western wear store (that was like stepping through a door into 1981 - right down to the last permed hair on the saleswoman) then pretty much turned around and came home. There really is a surprising cultural difference between the Americans and the Canadians, and the towns feel different. It was funny the way that in Canada most people ask if you are from Australia. In the US most people looked at and said 'Where are you from?' with a confused glaze over their eyes. Even the border crossing experiences were polar opposites. It was actually very funny when we came back into Canada - the immigration officer was telling us to make sure we get our US visa's stamped if we don't come back to the states before they expire "because you know what the Americans are like"!
I have also been out a few times as the lead guide on the trail rides which is exciting. My saddle is settling in nicely and I have decided to keep it which is good. I can now work on getting it set up exactly how I want it and letting it shape to my butt! I'll get it set up on Banner and take a pic for up here.
It looks like I will also be wanted here through the hunting season so my plans are to stay on the ranch through 'til probably late October or November and then I'm pretty keen to go back to Australia for the grain harvest at Burrangong. It would also mean I could visit home for a nice long stint and see everyone properly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment