Thursday, 26 February 2009

Blue sky and fresh snow!

Today was the day!
We have had three days of heavy snow that loaded about 50cm of fresh onto the slopes and today broke crystal clear. Needless to say I was on the first bus up the mountain and waiting at the lift for the first run to open. It was -20 at the base of the lift and there was a real buzz amongst the keen few who were up and ready to cut some fresh tracks. I even got interviewed by a film crew who were filming a program today so I'll keep an eye on the website to see if I make the final cut! Edit: I did! for about 1 second... http://www.skibig3.com/campaigns/2008/banffSnow/

I had intended to only ski a half day, but with the fresh snow, perfect blue skies and warm temperatures (it almost got up to zero in the afternoon), I just couldn't leave. I ran into Kimo and Lorell, a couple of friends from Banff and skied with them in the afternoon which was really great. Kimo sent me his pictures which I have added into the post.

Unfortunately my skis sustained a nasty gash in the top photo. As I dropped over the lip my left ski hit a rock and caught in which also pitched me forward at an inorpotune time. I did a bit of a rag-doll impersonation in the fluffy white pillows after I landed as a result!

I also retaced some old ground and took advantage of the fresh snow and deep landing on a cliff I already knew of:

1 comment:

  1. The bottom of my board looks similar to your skis after I hit a rock off piste on Saturday in France. Annoying. But easily fixable (apparently).

    ReplyDelete