Friday, 6 February 2009

Starting to make some progress...

I had a reasonably productive day today.

For a start, I managed to successfully transfer some funds into my CAD account, so I won't have to make expensive GBP withdrawals - Tick. I made the trip back to Canmore to register for a Social Insurance Number, so I am now legally allowed to work and am registered on the Canadian tax system - Tick. I spent some time at the Job Resource Centre, and they gave me some advice on 'Canadianising' my resume which I have now done and have a few copies on hand - Tick. There were no jobs that sprung out at me on their listings, but I am reasonably optimistic about filling the gap that the Aussie students are about to leave behind at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise resorts.

It seems that buses are great places to meet people! (Are you reading this Lindsay..?) I met another interesting guy today on the way back from Canmore who runs an environmental research group out of Banff. His particular focus is wildlife management in and around the town, but we had a good chat about the coservation efforts and control techniques in relation to the Pine beetles that are causing so much damage, particularly in BC. I think he may have a bit of a protectionist mentality which I dont entirely agree with, but interesting conversation none the less. He seems pretty well connected around town and I said that I would be very interested to volunteer for any field work he had going. They recently did some wildlife surveys with motion sensor trail cams, so anything like that would be great to get involved in. He also said he would keep an ear out for any jobs that might be going in a similar field.

I can't believe how much wildlife I have seen. There are groups of elk that you can see along the side of the road and there is a Blacktail (maybe Mule) deer doe that was looking in the window of our room 10 minutes ago!! This is a very cool place...

I do have to admit to feeling a bit low today. I guess that is alway the case when you are trying to find a job, and don't have any real base that you feel a bit vunerable. I also still feel like a real foreigner here, and its a small enough place that everyone knows each other so you are quite aware that you are standing out. On the plus side, most people are very friendly and keen to help, so I don't feel too isolated.

Its snowing out there now, so I'm planning to head up to Sunshine Village tomorrow for a day of skiing! Hopefully there will be some HR contacts up there too even though it is a Saturday. A day pass is $80 and a season pass is $800, so I don't want to do too many single days, but I don't want to buy a season pass yet because there is a strong possibility that I will get a pass and digs with my job... the dilemma! I think that as tomorrow will be fresh, I really should just indulge in a little bit of piste time though!

Just a view from the walk into Banff from the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment